Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Oy To The World

So on a discussion list I follow, someone posted the following question:
What's your favorite Christmas song or album/CD?

Hands down, for me, it's the "Oy To The World" CD by The Klezmonauts. What, you don't automatically associate Christmas with Klezmer music? Really?

Well, okay. I'll grant you it's not an automatic link. They go together like, maybe, peanut butter and potato chips. Different, and not to everyone's taste, but yummy if you're into it. In fact, I like this CD so well that I just went to Amazon and downloaded a copy to this laptop, because it was easier than going through our CD racks in the living room and finding the disc. Oh Amazon, you're just so...

Which brings me to the real point of this rant. Geez, but it is easy to buy shit off Amazon. Maybe too easy. Like, I'm wandering around the internet and I read a review of a book that sounds appealing. I make a couple clicks and get a sample sent to my Kindle. Then, a month or so later, I'm sitting at the kid's swim practice or standing at the bus stop or waiting for a delivery at work, and I read the sample. It is good! Click! Bingo! I've bought the book - and somehow they don't post the price where I can see it when I click the "buy it now" button.

And that's the craziest part. I'm such a book-whore that I try (tried?) to avoid paying full price whenever possible. I buy used or check things out from the library or wait for the paperback. Sorry, authors. Console yourself with knowing that while I might cheap out on the individual sale, I make up for it in volume (says the girl with multiple copies of most of what Charlaine Harris has ever written). I try to tell myself that there's a novelty factor involved, and that when I get used to it, I'll use more judgement about what goes on my Kindle or into my Amazon Cloud. Someday...

So here's a link (I think...you might need to copy and paste it into your browser) to The Klezmonauts on Amazon, in case all of this has inspired you to check them out.
http://www.amazon.com/Oy-World-Klezmonauts/dp/B00000FXN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323182898&sr=8-1

And if you're additionally inspired, leave a recommendation in the comments for other Christmas music I should check out.
Peace,
Liv

4 comments:

  1. Mel Tormé. His "Good King Wenceslas" is the BEST EVAR. Also, the Boston Camerata's Medieval and Renaissance christmas albums are sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love me some Boston Camerata, and knowing that The Freewaydiva is THE expert on Christmas music makes anything she recommends a must-hear.
    ;)
    Liv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aside from the classics (All I wanted was a Skateboard by Super Deluxe, Sometimes You Have to Work on Christmas by Harvey Danger, not to mention Christmastime is Here by the Vince Giraldi Trio) I love the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, especially Christmas in Sarajevo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. Wow. I feel old.
    My friend The Freewaydiva shared her Vince Giraldi CD with me, and I do love it. Not as much as The Klezmonauts, though...
    ;)

    ReplyDelete